Divya speaks about Vaaranam Aayiram.




One of the frontline and highest paid actress in Kannada, Ramya whose real name is Divya Spandana is playing the lead actress in Gowtham Vasudeva Menon's ‘Vaaranam Aayiram’. Henceforth she will carry two names and will be known as Divya in Tamil and Ramya in Kannada. Surya has three heroines in the film and Divya plays one among them.

Excerpts from an Interview:

How about the name change from Divya Spandana to Ramya?

I was introduced to films by the Rajkumar family and Parvathamma who has introduced so many girls gave me a break through their banner. Based on astrology and numerology she changed my name to Ramya saying the 'R' would bring me luck. And she was true. That name gave me a place in the Kannada film industry. When I did the Tamil film Kuthu, people there started calling me Kuthu Ramya. People laughed at that name and I hated that. Gowtham Menon while doing Vaaranam Aayiram also didn’t like the prefix and so I again converted to Divya. There are no other Divya in the film industry.

Tell us how Vaaranam Aayiram happened to you.


I had always wanted to work with Mani Ratnam, Gowtham Menon and the likes as these directors have made films with well-etched women characters. They had always given performance oriented roles to their heroines. When Gowtham was looking for a heroine for the film, a journalist friend of mine referred my name. Deepika had walked out of the film and Gowtham was looking for a replacement. The journalist friend came to me and I was excited at the offer. I went to Chennai for the screen test and I bagged the film.

Didn’t you feel insecure sharing screen space with three actresses?

This is my first film where I am sharing space with other actresses. I had only done Rakshita in Kannada but that role was fantastic. I would prefer to do a solo film and have the entire film to my name. Sounding greedy isn’t it! But here things stand different as I have my own screen space. I would agree that I am selfish as an actor and would prefer to be in every frame. I don’t want any other actress to be in the same frame as I am.

Does the role in Vaaranam Aayiram, substancial enough for you?

Definitely. I am happy that I get to essay one such role. To act in a Gowtham film is also a privilege. The film covers my age of a growing girl from 14 to 24. I had to undergo lots of changes in respect of body language, outlook, maturity etc. Nalini who did my costume helped me a lot to get the desired look. I am sporting two pigtails, school uniform and stuff like that. Its tough to play a teenager onscreen as their mind set is very different. Gowtham all the way made me feel like a teenager. He is a not just a brilliant director but a great actor as well and you just require to watch him to do a scene right.

How was it working with Surya?

I have been a huge fan of Surya and after working with him I have become even more. When the shooting for the film begin he was very quiet and we used to exchange just the formal 'Hi' and 'Bye'. Irrespective of that while doing the romantic scenes he gave the kind of take that would make anyone fall in love with him. He is that fantastic as an actor. Gradually we started interacting more. He is very professional, punctual and lots of fun to be with. It’s great to be working with such a perfectionist like him. He never compromises until he gives the best. With a director and actor as such, you just have to give your best. We began shooting for the film in December 2006 and for almost two years, we were together. We had become friends and so it was sad when the shooting ended.

What is this controversy about you participating in the Hogenakkal protest?

Yes, I did participate in the protest, and I would say that farmers in Tamil Nadu are no different from farmers in Karnataka. Farmers everywhere need water.

No comments: